Thursday, May 12, 2016

Some Cool Words

As a writer, I'm pretty well acquainted with words. But in the last few months, the amount of my writing has increased by A LOT. Especially with school wrapping up now, I've had some more time to sit around and type out words. And well, I've run across a few new words lately that I hadn't heard before (or else used before). So here there are:

- Aureate. This is a pretty sounding adjective used to describe something golden in color. As the sun set behind it, the waters lit up with aureate hues. It can also mean highly ornamented or elaborate in speech. The princess had a very cultured, aureate way of speaking. (I don't know why, but my spell check is saying this isn't a word but trust me, it is. I say this on Google's authority.)

- Hogwash. In a nutshell, this strange word means NONSENSE. The little toddler's story was hogwash.

- Spiffy. (I seriously love this word now and use it all the time) It is an adjective to describe someone who is gussied up or looks smart in appearance. In her new blue velvet dress and silver earrings, she looked very spiffy at her brother's wedding.

- Poker-faced. Means expressionless. Even while she was being accused for the murder, she remained poker-faced.

- Somnolent. An adjective which means sleepy, drowsy, abnormally drowsy. (The word kind of just sounds sleepy, doesn't it?) His co-workers noted he was strangely somnolent.

- Pipe dream. A noun which refers to an unattainable or fanciful hope or dream. (Honestly, I have only ever used this word once, but it's pretty cool don't cha think?) After all his hard planning and thinking, he came to the conclusion that his goals were merely a pipe dream.

- Cloy. (I found these last two within the past couple days). Cloy is a verb and it means 'to weary someone by sweetness.' (Think of eating WAY too much candy and getting that sick feeling in the pit of your stomach. Ugh). Cloying is the adjective form, which means syrupy or sugary. She talked to him in a very cloying manner.

- Dulcet. Means sweet, harmonious, and melodious. (Cute word) She fell asleep to the sound of his dulcet voice.

And there you go. My list of cool new words, and it only keeps growing. So maybe someday I'll update it. But for the meantime, maybe whoever reads this would like to try out some of these in their newest story *wink wink*

Love,
-B

No comments:

Post a Comment